Pope To Permit Tridentine Mass Rite

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pope To Permit Tridentine Mass Rite

This is timely with the discussion in the other (HOT) thread. I think we all know what thread that is.

I just received this email today.
    The original article requires registration to view.
    Anyway here it is.

"Pope to permit Tridentine Mass rite"
    David Quinn - Irish Independent - September 14, 2005

POPE Benedict XVI will soon begin to put his stamp on the Papacy by
    lifting the near total ban on the Old Mass as well as trying to restore "a
    sense of the sacred" to the New Mass, a Church expert says.

The prediction by Professor Eamonn Duffy, a Cambridge-based historian,
    comes ahead of a major Church meeting in Rome next month which will
    focus on the Mass and the Eucharist amid growing concerns that the Mass
    has become too banal and that many Catholics no longer have a proper
    understanding of what it is about.

Professor Duffy was speaking at the agm of the National Conference of
    Priests of Ireland. He said he believed it was "extremely likely that
    Pope Benedict will lift the restrictions on the celebration of the
    Tridentine liturgy".

The Tridentine Mass was the version offered throughout the Church prior
    to the Second Vatican Council of 1962-1965. It was said in Latin with
    the priest facing in the same direction as the congregation.
    Let me point out that this is still just speculation.

MODS: I thought of posting this in THE other thread since it is very much related but I don't want to hijack barnuevo's thread. Please merged/edit this otherwise.

Pope to permit Tridentine Mass rite

For me, there is nothing wrong in celebrating the Latin Tridentine Mass. Kahit ngayon ginagawa pa rin ito at meron pa ring mga existing Seminaries sa abroad na Old rite ang Misa nila, at hindi sila excommunicated ha.
    Dito sa Pangasinan, isa kami sa nag-organized ng Latin Mass. Nag-start kami noong 1996 at once a month lang ito ginaganap. Kahit sa iloilo meron ding ganito at every Sunday pa. Sad to say, iilan na lang ang mga priest dito na nakakaalam ng old rite ng Mass.

"The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart". -Hellen Keller

Comment

Re: Pope to permit Tridentine Mass rite

Well, there is nothing wrong in celebrating Latin masses unless you are speaking anything you do not understand. Sana alam nila yung responses kagaya kung "Verbum Domini" kapag gospel, ang sagot ay "Laus tibi, Christe". I always watch masses sa EWTN at maganda siya kapag kinakanta.

Para sa akin, Latin masses are special, kahit sabi ni Mommy ko, "Bakit kailangan pa ng Latin mass, ginawa na nga sa Vatican II na gumamit na ng vernacular language sa misa!"

Comment

Latin Mass is Back!

check out the news about the new proclamation form the Pope!

http://www.boston.com/news/local/art...le_latin_mass/

Among the interesting items......

The minority of Catholics who have clung to the Latin Mass, formally known as the Tridentine Rite, are celebrating yesterday's release at the Vatican of a new document in which Pope Benedict XVI , reaching out to alienated traditionalists, opened the door to wider use of the Latin Mass by allowing priests to say the Mass without requiring authorization from their local bishop.

This is an interesting development.

Comment

Re: Latin Mass is Back!

paano na makapagparticipate ang mga pilipino kapag gamitin ito sa atin? karamihan di nakakaintindi ng latin? di pa kasi ako nagsimba na latin ang ginamit sa liturgy... sa tv lang...

Comment

If I am not mistaken, the guidelines for this clearly states that the Latin mass will be said only if the faithful requests for it. That is, kung sino ang magre-request nito or kung sino ang may gusto. It did not say that we are required to hear mass in Latin, it only said that saying the mass in Latin, using the pre-Vatican II liturgy is permitted.
            We have little to no culture of healthy polemics in the country, as any attempt to consider fault is taken as a personal attack. Rare are those that are able to deal with it properly. --- Alex Tioseco (1981-2009), critic

DISSENT IS LIBERATION; NO DEMOCRACY WITHOUT DISSENT
            CRITICISM IS DISCOURSE, DIALECTIC AND EDUCATION

Comment

like bro bingo said... hindi maganda sa setting.... participation issue kasi. i hope cbcp will review this thoroughly...
              The Lord is my strength, He is my Savior. He is my fortress and my shield, my song. The Lord is my strength, He is my Savior. Why should I fear at all?

Comment

No problem there. Kung wala namang magre-request na mag-misa sa Latin, then it will not be said.

Besides, the document (a motu proprio, Summorum Pontificum) maintains that the mass, as we all know it (referred to as the Pauline Mass, after Pope Paul VI who promulgated it) remains the ordinary liturgy, meaning it takes precedence over the Tridentine mass revised by Blessed Pope John XXIII.

The revised Tridentine mass, on the other hand, is an extraordinary liturgy. Again, it will be said only if specifically requested. But Summorum Pontificum did not say that priests will say mass without it being requested by the faithful (otherwise, the faithful cannot participate).

(I have to stress out \"revised\" because Pope John XXXII thoroughly changed the text of the mass and deleted some texts that were deemed offensive by adherent of Judaism.)

From how it stands, the issue about participation per se is considered a non-issue, as Summorum Pontificum is clear on this. The Wikipedia article on Summorum Pontificum mentions that the central issues focus not on the reinstatement of the Tridentine Mass, but with the text of the Tridentine Mass itself (well, let the theologians, liturgists and clergy settle that) and on the availability of priests to say the Tridentine Mass (although Summorum Pontificum mentions that the readings and the homily can be read/said in the vernacular).
                We have little to no culture of healthy polemics in the country, as any attempt to consider fault is taken as a personal attack. Rare are those that are able to deal with it properly. --- Alex Tioseco (1981-2009), critic

Comment

RP Catholic Church ready to hold Latin masses

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3]Read this at Inquirer.net. Tanong lang, do Latin missals also require Latin songs (or even a choir for that matter)? Thanks! ^_^

--
                  [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
                  MANILA, Philippines -- The Philippine clergy is prepared to implement Pope Benedict XVI's directive that allowed greater freedom for the celebration of the Latin Mass, a Roman Catholic prelate said on Monday.

Caloocan Bishop Deogracias Y
                  sigpic

If it is to be, it is up to me.

- - - - -

* Koinonia Choir // Join Us! / Friendster / Multiply / Vox / Plurk / Blog

Comment

Re: RP Catholic Church ready to hold Latin masses

Return query ko lang: Is it really necessary to hold latin masses? I think this is something which the church should not try to do. although, priests are trained to understand latin, but the church-goers are not. There is a passage in the Bible, unfortunately I can't remember where, said like this: If you are going to spread the word of God in a poor village, be poor then. This is for the village people to understand the preacher and the preacher will know what to say, how to say it. Having latin masses here in the philippines will be like whispering in the wind.
                    As for me and my House, We will serve the Lord

Comment

No, it's not. The Tridentine Mass is offered as an option, meaning if you want to hear the Tridentine Mass, it's allowed, but if you don't want to, that's also fine.

I have prepared a primer about the "Summorum Pontificum", the document that is being referred here. I'll be posting it in a little while, in another thread

Comment

I have posted a thread, under the "Choirs and the Church" forum, where I summarized some of the most important points of the new document by Pope Benedict XVI, as well as a background. In passing, I'd like to mention that even before this document (Summorum Pontificum) was promulgated, Catholics are still allowed to hear the Holy Mass in Latin, so it doesn't really matter whether Pope Benedict XVI published this document or not. It wasn't a question of whether masses may be said in Latin; it's more of a question of which version

Here's the link to my mini-primer:
                        http://www.bukaspalad.com/board/show...newpost&t=1642

Cheers

Comment

thanks for the primer, titopao. i have read it and understood the intent. I guess I was not able to grab the whole concept of the promulgated move of the Vatican.
                          As for me and my House, We will serve the Lord

Comment

Originally posted by jefflyceum View Post
                            Return query ko lang: Is it really necessary to hold latin masses? I think this is something which the church should not try to do. although, priests are trained to understand latin, but the church-goers are not. There is a passage in the Bible, unfortunately I can't remember where, said like this: If you are going to spread the word of God in a poor village, be poor then. This is for the village people to understand the preacher and the preacher will know what to say, how to say it. Having latin masses here in the philippines will be like whispering in the wind.
                            Don't worry; ang homily naman sa Tridentine Mass is in the vernacular; plus, pinayagan doon sa Motu Proprio na ang mga readings should be in the vernacular.

Tsaka, puwede namang makasunod ang mga tao kung merong missalettes. Hindi namang kelangan na marunong kang mag-Latin para makasunod, dapat lang i-remember ang mga response (Et cum spiritum tuo, Amen, etc.)
                            Pari: "Sa pamamagitan ng kaluwalhatian ng Iyong Ngalan, O Kristong Anak ng Diyos na buhay, at sa pamamagitan ni Santa Mariang Birhen, at ni Santiago, at ng lahat ng Iyong mga Banal, tulungan at kaawan Mo nawa kaming Iyong mga hindi karapat-dapat na lingkod: at nawa'y sumagitna Ka namin, O aming Diyos, na nabubuhay at naghahari magpasawalang-hanggan."
                            Koro: Salamat sa Diyos!

- Per Gloriam Nominis Tui (Mozarabic Rite)

My Blog: Sacrificium Laudis

Comment

[QUOTE=bouie;25654][FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkOrange]Read this at Inquirer.net. Tanong lang, do Latin missals also require Latin songs (or even a choir for that matter)? Thanks! ^_^

Opo. Kadalasan Gregorian Chant ang ginagamit noon nga.

About that article you posted:

with due respect to the Bishop, sa tingin ko ang dadagsa sa TLM ay hindi mga matatanda, kundi mga kabataan (At least sa ibang bansa ganoon, for example America. Pero dahil yun sa kawalan ng 'sacredness' o ng 'reverence' sa maraming Misa sa America; dahil sa mga bagay na tinatawag na 'Liturgical Abuse'). Doon pa nga sa ibang bansa, ang matatanda pa ang ayaw sa TLM.
                              Pari: "Sa pamamagitan ng kaluwalhatian ng Iyong Ngalan, O Kristong Anak ng Diyos na buhay, at sa pamamagitan ni Santa Mariang Birhen, at ni Santiago, at ng lahat ng Iyong mga Banal, tulungan at kaawan Mo nawa kaming Iyong mga hindi karapat-dapat na lingkod: at nawa'y sumagitna Ka namin, O aming Diyos, na nabubuhay at naghahari magpasawalang-hanggan."
                              Koro: Salamat sa Diyos!

- Per Gloriam Nominis Tui (Mozarabic Rite)

My Blog: Sacrificium Laudis

Comment

Working...
                              X