Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between "Concordat cum Originalli" and "Nihil Obstat" and "Imprimatur"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between "Concordat cum Originalli" and "Nihil Obstat" and "Imprimatur"

Baka me idea po kayo, kasi yong OCP songbook na "Breaking Bread" Concordat cum Originali ang nakalagay instead of Nihil Obstat at Imprimatur. And some Choir leader here in SG nagsasabing hindi sya liturgical song dahil walang basbas or galing Vatican, kaya ang mga kanta nila puro galing Music Sacra. What do you think?
    ___________ "SONG OF MARY" ____________
    Sing my Soul....
    the greatness of the Lord...

sigpic

Re: Difference between "Concordat cum Originalli" and "Nihil Obstat" and "Imprimatur"

First things first:

These three terms are applied to a published piece of work such as a book, a pamphlet, a magazine or perhaps even a songbook...basta nakaimprenta. In theory, it could also apply to a CD, but in practice...wala pa akong nabalitaan na may naglagay ng ganoon on a CD or DVD

In the following three sections, "work" means "published work", as I've mentioned above.

NIHIL OBSTAT
    * literally means "no objections"
    * this means that the work does not contain anything that is contrary to Catholic doctrine.
    * when you see this in a work, this is not the permission itself. But usually, a "nihil obstat" and "imprimatur" appear together. Malimit na walang "nihil obstat" pero may "imprimatur" lang (or vice versa)

IMPRIMATUR
    * literally means "let it be printed"
    * this can also be translated like, "I, the arch/bishop who put a signature on this 'imprimatur', is giving permission to have this work printed and published"
    * in other words, this is the permission per se

CONCORDAT CUM ORIGINALI
    * literally means "in concordance/is consistent with the original [work]"
    * usually appears in a translated work. For example: meron nito ang Lectionary and Roman Missal (the big red book, not those little misalettes that you buy at St. Paul).
    * when this one appears, it means that the translation is...well, consistent with the original work. It's a literal or a very close translation of another work that is usually written/published in Latin.
    * this phrase usually appears in selected works such as (but not limited to) the Bible, translations of Papal documents and even in the printed/book editions of the Catechism of the Catholic Church
    * it also means that the text is the same as another original work. For example, kung Philippine edition ng isang English lectionary, then "concordat cum originali" means it has the same contents as that of the original translation published by ICEL
    * (di ako sure dito, but anyhow...) If the original work has an imprimatur and a nihil obstat, then it's probably safe to say that it also applies to the translation. Sa pagkakaalala ko, wala din yatang "nihil obstat" and "imprimatur" ang Catechism of the Catholic Church (at least, the US-printed edition that I have in the province), meron lang siyang "concordat cum originali"

Now, what is the purpose of having a "nihil obstat" and an "imprimatur"? Basically, it means that the work is safe for Catholic consumption. Wala siyang tinuturong mali o labag sa Magisterium ng Simbahan (e.g. walang nagsasabi na, say, "the Virgin Mary is God", "abortion is not a sin", etc. etc.) Its purpose is doctrinal, not liturgical. It addresses concerns about doctrine, not about liturgical suitability (if ever).

(Or else, if the choir leader you mention argues otherwise, itanong mo sa kanya kung paano maco-consider na "liturgical" ang isang encyclical at anc Catechism? )

Regarding "walang basbas ng Vatican"...again, as we've mentioned in previous posts, the Vatican only issues general guidelines. But the Vatican itself does not approve songs; that authority is delegated to the local ordinaries (and usually, in practice, to the parish priests). Just imagine kung ilang dekada tayong maghihintay kung lahat na lang ng mga bagong kantang pangmisa ay isa-isang bubusisiin at aaprubahan pa ng Vatican LOL

But just to make it clear...okay lang naman kung Musicam Sacram lang (and also the General Instruction on the Roman Missal) ang basis ng nasabing choirmaster sa pagpili ng mga kanta. That is actually the right way to go. 'Yun nga lang, kailangan siyang paliwanagan na ang nihil obstat at ang imprimatur ay patungkol sa written text (i.e. lyrics) at hindi, for example, sa isang mismong kanta (lyrics [i]and[i] music). Like what I mentioned, ang purpose lang naman ng nihil obstat at imprimatur ay patungkol sa doktrina ng Simbahan.

And huwag kamo siyang/silang maging mailap sa "concordat cum originali" (English responses ng misa siguro ang pinag-uusan ninyong kanta dito, ano? ) Mas maganda nga na 'yun ang nakalagay kasi it means that the song lyrics are the same as the original source (e.g. the official new English translations of the mass). (Put it in another way, para na ring sinasabi ng "concordat cum originali" na hindi "pirated" 'yung lyrics ng kanta, it's the same as real thing )
    We have little to no culture of healthy polemics in the country, as any attempt to consider fault is taken as a personal attack. Rare are those that are able to deal with it properly. --- Alex Tioseco (1981-2009), critic

DISSENT IS LIBERATION; NO DEMOCRACY WITHOUT DISSENT
    CRITICISM IS DISCOURSE, DIALECTIC AND EDUCATION

Comment

Working...
    X